Tuesday, May 8, 2012

An Uncommon Fruit

Fact: avocados are technically berries.
Fact: their skin looks like dragons.
Fact: they are really good for you –
rich in potassium, B vitamins, vitamin E, and fibre (also, monounsaturated fats, which are the good kind that lower cholestreol).

Fact: these are all just preamble to the fact that they are crazy delicious, and the perfect, refreshing sort of food for these warming days. I usually eat them raw, sliced on top of a sandwich or taco, or even spooned out of the skin with just a touch of salt sprinkled on top. But recent recipes have got me thinking I my need to upgrade my preparation methods.


This Avocado Pesto Pasta from A Cozy Kitchen looks like straight-up goodness. Basil, lemon and almonds, diced up with some of everyone's fave green fruit? Too, too much. I was sold at "vegan comfort food."


Or, you know, there's this Stovetop Avocado Mac & Cheese from Two Peas & Their Pod which look fucking phenomenal (and also, not too difficult to make – no prolonged bake time!). The avocado sauce has lime and cilantro in it before being added to a cheesy base and OMG I KNOW.

Avocado Egg Salad two ways: the first, from The Pioneer Woman.


Creamy and cool, this classic sports old-school chives and a smooth texture.

Or maybe you'd rather try this new take:


This one from Honey, What's Cooking? boasts a chunkier texture, plus has the addition of watercress for a little peppery flavour. Hot damn, don't that look mouthwatering?


There's also this Nacho Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Guacamole from the Tastespotting blog. No big, right? Just a hand held version of everyone's favourite bar food, right? No big.


Eggs in Avocado Slices from Apron Strings looks like the perfect way to start any day.


And Just A Spoonful Of... updates a classic Caprese salad with added avocado.


I have to stop, guys. I'm too hungry now.
What are your favourite avocado recipes?

2 comments:

  1. I *actually* just shouted/ exclaimed with amazement at the avocado egg bake thing. holy sweet jesus! my favie is avo/ egg/ roast red pepper open face sammy on super toasty bread. it's hella filling. great post, gyal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The mere sight is weak-knee inducing, for sure. That sounds delicious! I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts