Monday, June 25, 2012

Weekly Perks the Third

This article, All Dogs Go To Heaven, is a new-time favourite from one of my old-time favourite sites, Pajiba. Steven Lloyd Wilson unpacks why we feel so awful when dogs die in film, and it's pretty damning (answer: because dogs have the chivalry of knights, and we don't.)

I thought I'd use a picture of this Basset Hound/Beagle puppy that absolutely destroyed me on Petfinder.
It looks like he's getting adopted though, so no worries.





I'm headed to New York this week, and pretty psyched to try out every goddamn place on Louis CK's list of the best places in the city. I was sold at "Just dough dipped in grease and butter and honey and coconut." Do you have any other foodie or fun destinations you recommend I try while I'm there?





"Man Up, Bieber", a GQ article about Justin Bieber's new "mature" public image had me shudder-laughing at work. It starts with this sentence: "I have been told specifically that I will be able to punch Justin Bieber in the face." It continues here.






I already have the perfect yarn to start this beautiful cowl I've been eying for a while on Erica Knits. However, I'm not allowed until I have a couple projects cast off beforehand. Hands, get to work.





This is a good reminder that the pursuit of perfection is fruitless affair. Thanks CNN (and Christine) for pointing it out.


The root of the word courage is cor -- the Latin word for heart. In one of its earliest forms, the word courage had a very different definition than it does today. Courage originally meant to speak one's mind by telling all one's heart.

Over time, this definition has changed, and, today, courage is more synonymous with being heroic. Heroics are important and we certainly need heroes, but I think we've lost touch with the idea that speaking honestly and openly about who we are, about what we're feeling, and about our experiences (good and bad) is the definition of courage.

Heroics are often about putting our life on the line. Courage is about putting our vulnerability on the line.




*Just to note: we're getting back on track 'round these parts.
Thanks for sticking around, you lovelies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts