Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Hair DIY: A Simple Roll

Hey gang! It's the middle of summer, and you totally have hair on the back of your neck, right at this moment! I bet it's sticking all over the back of your neck and making you feel extra sweaty! Gross! (Unless you are in an office, in which case it's just awkwardly gelled to your neck because of earlier sweat! Double gross!) I'm here to help, friend.

I would be nothing without bobby pins. I carry them around with me in my purse because a) I’m a pack rat who hates being unprepared and b) they are, without a doubt, the most versatile way to solve your hair woes. Don’t believe me? When was the last time your hair elastic held your bangs off your forehead, huh? I get the impression that bobby pins and the styles they allow are considered advanced procedures, like an elastic is way easier to use. No way! Bobby pins are so much more effective, and and look a million times better. Plus, you can wear them with your helmet, so they promote safety too! Is there anything bobby pins can't do??


Especially if you are in an awkward, in between length, from about earlobes to shoulder-grazing, where you can’t put up your hair without your layers and short hairs in the back falling out and sticking to your neck, LISTEN UP. I want to help you. Put away your hair elastics—that stub of a tail sticking out the back of your head is doing nothing for you. You are a queen. You deserve to have hair that makes you feel like a lady, and I swear, it’ll take less than 5 minutes to do. I made this video below to show you how to do the above 'do—see? I'm talking a lot in it and it only took 7 minutes! You can easily do it in 5, no prob.

You'll need:
combed hair
bobby pins
hairspray


In case you can't watch it, this is roughly what I'm doing:
Grasp the hair at the side of your face as if to pull it back. Then start to twist your hair horizontally towards the back of your head, curling upward and inward. As you move along the twist, start to pick up hair along the way, much like a French braid, and add bobby pins. The tension in the twist will keep your hair from falling out between the pins. Keep working around until you get to the centre of the back of your head. If your hair is short, it’ll probably be done, so pin it to your head. Repeat for the other side, and when you get to the back-centre, try to tuck the new end across the previous one, and into the previous roll.

Let me know in the comments if you tried this!
What's your favourite summertime hairdo?

6 comments:

  1. This video is too fucking cute. Definitely to be remembered for the next time I get bored and hack my hair off with kitchen scissors

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girl, it'd be totally adorbs on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This vid is so awesome and helpful! I've been trying to grow my hair out for a while now and it gets so hard in the summer when it's at an awkward length not to just hack it all off. This hairstyle is such a good alternative =]
    I tried doing it and was pretty successful at first, but then my hair would start to fall out because I don't think I'm doing the bobby-pinning correctly. Any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jenny! I'm glad you liked it!

    To get bobby pins to sit tight, I try to grab hair from the front of the roll (on the outside) and some from the scalp so it's being held up on both sides. It also helps if you can maybe twist the bobby pins a bit as you push them in, so there's a bit of tension holding the gripped hair in place.

    You could also try adding a bit of hairspray to your hair before you start pinning—if your hair is too clean, it might be too slippery for the bobby pins.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts