Thursday, December 22, 2011

5 Christmas songs that won't make you want to kill yourself

If you have tried to brave any retail stores in the month of December, chances are that you've been inundated with bad Christmas music. It's everywhere—Mariah Carey, Justin Bieber, and nameless, faceless other singers who, because it's a Christmas song, take advantage and go full-on cheesy and over the top. I've started to despise most Christmas music, but there are a few saving graces—songs that I go to year after year to get me in the holiday mood.

Putting this list together I realized that a few of the songs contain either racist and homophobic remarks, but I'm going to chock that up to the songs being from a different time. Besides, if you like them kind of ironically then it's not bad, right?


The Pogues "Fairytale of New York"
This is a classic that my dad introduced me to when I was a kid. Yesterday, a bad bar band played this when I was having drinks with some co-workers, and I kind of glazed over and let myself slip into the world of the toothless Shane McGowan, a world where it's okay to be in a drunk abusive relationship in New York. I feel like I'm not really selling it, but it's a great tune.




Bandaid "Do they know it's Christmas?"
This song is so mislead it's crazy to think that it was written and performed in the '80s. It's kind of a guilty pleasure, guilty because the lyrics are so fucked up ("The only water flowing [in Africa] is their bitter sting of tears"). But it was for a good cause, and look at how much fun they are all having! Thank God it's them instead of you, huh!




Elvis Presley "Blue Christmas"
Elvis makes it onto every top 5 list that I make, just because he is wonderful in every way. Here is a live performance of his, but he has a whole album of Christmas songs that are pretty cool. This is my fave by far. And I like this little country-ish take on a song that's usually pretty soulful.




Vince Guaraldi Trio "O Tannenbaum"
I usually steer clear of a lot of the other songs on this album (I hate the sound of children singing) but this instrumental is a jazzy take on the original. It also reminds me of my Grandma, who taught me the words in Estonian was I was a kid (I don't remember them). Also, if it's not already, you should make watching the Charlie Brown Christmas special a yearly ritual.




Joni Mitchell "River"
 This one is sad, but worth it. I have been listening to her album Blue on repeat these days, and I have this theory that listening to Joni does the same thing as what happened to the Grinch at the end of his story—your heart can actually get bigger and have the capacity to hold more love in it. (AWWWW.) This song makes me feel reminiscent of the past (a Christmas pasttime) and lucky for what I have write now. So many feeeeeelings! (If you really want a Christmas-themed heart boner, watch this version of the song.)



I am going to add one more song that doesn't make the top 5, mainly because it's really annoying and grating, but I love it nonetheless. WARNING: this one might make you want to kill yourself.

Alvin and the Chipmunks "Christmas Don't Be Late"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts