Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Gift Guide: Dream On

If you know me, you know I love my bed.

In university, I used to entertain guests in my bed (not in THAT way, guttermind). I am willing to sacrifice the precious few hours of sleep I get for like, maybe five things, tops. If I don't have to leave the house again upon returning after work, I change into pajamas as soon as I walk in the door. There is nothing – NOTHING – I would rather do in this world than sleep late every day and spend a few leisurely hours reading, or maybe marathoning my latest TV show addiction from under the covers. If I could work from bed on the daily, why, I might even start believing in a god.

via

Are you like this? Do you have a friend or family member like this? Because I am telling you now, as a PSA, unless you had a really stellar, personal gift idea for them, the best possible present a bed-lover could get is something to improve their bed experience.

It's so obvious, isn't it? I don't know why everyone doesn't just give bed-improving gifts for those hard-to-buy-for people. They're unisex and available for every age group. We all have to sleep every day. And the best presents are ones you wouldn't get for yourself, but that improve your life somehow. Why aren't we trying to give the gift of a good night's sleep to everyone?

SO, here it goes: my top three picks for gifting the bed-lover (aka. EVERYONE) in your life.

1. Sweet sleepwear
Everyone could use another pair of jammies. You can really never have too many. You're just replacing some old moth-eaten college shirt in their PJ rotation, and if they're not willing to retire ol' holey, the new one will become their go-to set when guests stay over. See? You're doing them a good too! Pay it forward!

A knowledge of your giftee's preferences in sleepwear will definitely help, but if you're at a loss, just go for a classically styled set in a soft cotton. I'd advise avoiding flannel for guys full stop, but hey, if you know a dude who's always cold, go for it. This pair from LL Bean is made of the same oxford cloth as their button downs, which I can say from experience feels AMAZING. A nice choice for anyone of any gender.

LL Bean, $59

If you're looking to splurge on your girlfriend or your bestie, I know few women who would turn down a silk nightshirt as glorious as this one.

Victoria's Secret, $98

I don't know if you knew this about me, but I'm the oldest bitch on the block. I've been lusting over this sexless monstrosity for about two years now. I haven't ordered it myself because, whoa, sorry boyfriend, you're about to get man repelled to the max. But it is my totally serious dream to go to bed looking FLDS and swathed in flannel goodness. Actually, no, don't get this for me, because I might be tempted to wear it all day, every day. Perfect for me and for your grandma.

LL Bean, $50


2. A good pillow
Does anyone actually spend money on pillows? All the ones I have are ratty, flattened, rectangular pancakes that I try in vain to fluff. Yet I can't bring myself to buy even just one really good pillow because I would rather spend my limited funds on take-out and nail polish (what a fool am I). I suspect I am not alone.

Buy someone just one good pillow. Just one! That's all they need! They can use the pancakes to supplement it for height. Seriously, you will have a lifelong blood brother if you do this for someone. It does help if you know how someone sleeps, but no one is going to turn down an awesome pillow, regardless of how it matches their style. You can even probably find some great deals on them in department stores right now, so you're looking at the $20+ range in gifts. Choose your level of generosity.

And to completely do a 180 on that advice, there's only one kind of pillow on my wish list: a contoured memory foam pillow. They're usually around $50, but my, are they ever worth more than that.

via

I remember, back in my university days, my homegirl G and her girlfriend had one of these, and we would all take turns being able to use it while we hung out. I was the lowest man on the totem pole, with really no claim to the pillow except the stellar company I provide, and boy, did I feel the love whenever that pillow would get passed my way. I still dream about it, and that was six years ago (six??). I don't know a single person who doesn't like sleeping on these. I don't think those people exist.

Also, if you suffer from any kind of neck/back pain, this provides excellent support and relief. I currently have a rolled up towel in my pillowcase now to provide me with neck support, so this would improve my life as a mega health benefit. Just sayin'.


3. Slippers
The premise behind these items is simple: bring your bed with you, wherever you go. Fuzzy slippers keep your tootsies toasty and magically keep you warm all over, like you're wrapped in a duvet. Again, department stores are your friend in terms of great buys at this time of year, although you can find some really beautiful handcrafted slippers fairly easily.

If you're crafty/a knitter, you can even make them yourself! I'm partial to this felted pair by French Press Knits (the Yarn Harlot's a fan too).

French Press Pattern, $8

I have a pair I bought at the One of a Kind Show a couple years ago from Hides in Hand – they are hand washable deerskin, and I just love them to bits. I have an unlined pair which is great because I can wear them year-round, and I just add a pair of thick socks in the winter for extra warmth.

If you're looking for a super fuzzy and warm pair, these ones from LL Bean look and sound amazing for about the same price (so many five star reviews!).
LL Bean, $59

This is just the tip of the iceberg, friends: robes, throws, accent pillows...all welcome additions to a well stocked boudoir. Everyone's just going to hibernate all winter anyway – make it a little easier for them, and when it comes time for making plans again come April, they'll remember the love and warmth you bestowed upon them.

PS. don't read the comments on this thread if you ever want to sleep again, BTW.

1 comment:

  1. Am I the only one that thinks that L.L.Bean nightshirt is super sexy? It would look so good around the house with really rosy cheeks a loose, messy updo.

    I am so buying it.

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts