Wednesday, November 2, 2011

6 Reasons Why I Love the X-files

aphroditekiller

1. It's scary, but not too scary.
I am a major wuss. I haven't seen a horror film made past the year 2000 because I just can't handle it (while you can argue that old horror films are scarier anyway, they are least have that cheese factor that distances their modern day audience and makes me feel less like it could be my life). The X-files is just old enough (they have cell phones, but really old clunky cell phones) for me to feel comfortable (that kind of thing would never happen now..... right?!) and relies more on gross-out creepiness, who dun it, and how is that possible, than jump out at you, make you stay up all night with nightmares kind of scariness.

2. Even if you're not super into the UFO/alien thing, there's more for you to see.
Actually, my favourite episodes are the ones that aren't about aliens, aren't about furthering the plot,  but kind of stand alone. Mulder and Scully investigate the murder of a baby and find out that super-duper inbred brothers are raping their mother to create a heir? Check. Two teenage best friends who share a birthday and (long story short) develop magical powers start killing boys at their school? Check. A down-on-his-luck guy gets a woman's face tatooed on his arm and the jealous tattoo (with the voice of Jodie Foster) tells him to kill other women (including Jennie Garth and Scully)? Check. A man who eats cancerous tumours is able to regenerate himself? Okay, I'll stop giving away the story line, but just so you know, that was all from season 4.

3. The sexual tension between Mulder and Scully that exists from the pilot.
This has been driving me crazy. Do they have feeling for each other? Do they not? Either way, they are working together really closely, and getting to know each other really well by sharing lots of intimate secrets. I can't wait to see what happens there. They belong together.

4. Each episode is an hour long.
Which is the perfect time to take a break from whatever you are doing and get your mind off life, and get your heart beating a little faster. Alternately, it means that you can watch about 5 episodes on a Saturday afternoon when your boyfriend is at work and still have time to do other fun weekend stuff.

5. It's nothing if not unexpected.
After getting through the first three seasons I thought I had gotten into a groove and then came an episode called "Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man" that blew me away, and changed the way I thought about a lot of things that have happened so far. You will consistently be surprised. Nothing is black and white.


6. That feeling you get when you're invested in a TV shows story and characters.
I love watching an entire series in a relatively short period of time, like I've done with countless others—The Golden Girls, The Sopranos, etc. It's so rewarding to have an end in sight and be able to finish the series and close it up like a book, knowing everything you are supposed to know. Except with the X-files, I'm not sure that all the questions are going to be answered, which—in this case—could be just as rewarding.


1 comment:

  1. You forgot to mention how Mulder and Scully are MEGA BABES, and make for easy-on-the-eyes watching.

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts