Thursday, January 5, 2012

A disguised list of resolutions

Coming home from a vacation is always sad, but time away from real life tends to give me the right amount of distance to know exactly what I want from life, and by the time I get back I am, like, raring to go. Here are some things that I am excited about lately.

Working from home:
Ho. My God. Everyone be jealous of me right now. I am gonna get shit done: I'm going to copy edit like a maniac, I'm going to write a whole lot, I'm going to clean, and organize, bake bread and muffins, and take lots of pictures of my cat. My full time office internship was incredible, but the months flew by and I realized that I had been doing so little of what is important to me. Now I feel like I have a bit more of that time.



Watching more movies:
If you want to get me to watch a movie, send me a screengrab with like Mia Farrow, some French New Wave chick, or Cary Grant. I'll add it to my list. After watching a lot of the Turner Classic Movie channel in Michigan, I realized that watching old movies is a very important thing to me. I'm going to do much more of that.


Enjoying the space where I live:
I hinted at it a few times over the last month or two, but Dan and I went through a really awful experience with some crazy neighbours that we had. Crazy like sociopathic, speed-metal loving, junk collecting, insomniac, homophobic, chain smokers—and we shared a house and a backyard with them. They are now gone, and I'm starting to feel less panicked in our apartment. It's a nice feeling to feel at home. By the way, if anyone wants an old rusted walker or a kids bike, we've got them in our backyard.

Learning about what I love:
I realized in 2011, when I was taking a copyediting class at Ryerson, that even if I love the topic I am learning about, I'm uninspired by a classroom setting with weekly readings, essays, exams, and all that. I like learning by myself, without being tested. I've always considered myself a smart girl, even though my grades, in highschool, university, wherever, have been pretty crap. I'm going to go lots of reading and lots of exploring. Cool.

Running:
I've been running on and off for several years, and I can't stop thinking that it's the perfect way to wake up. Especially if you don't have to shower afterward. Get in shape is always on the resolution list, but for me, running has always been more about clarity of mind than about looking good. Well, looking good would be a very close second.

via shoeguide

Taking more pictures:
You know when you blink and realize that you have forgotten about a passion you have? I haven't taken pictures in months. I started up again while I was in Michigan. Even though my sweet Pentax K1000 is broken and I'm sick of my Holga, I've been using Dan's old Olympus OM1, and it works just fine. Expect to see pretty pictures soon!




Tell us what you are looking forward to this year! It'll inspire us, I promise!

3 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to graduating and also finally getting back into photography. and...
    SPINNING as exercise! What do you think about Spinning, and have you ever? I have bad knees etc so running is outta the Q...

    Also I resolve to put up SHELVES in my room and be more thrifty (yes) to save money, but mostly as an act of subversion...

    Oh ... and make a budget...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah!

    I used to spin in highschool! It is a crazy workout! You burn like an insane amount of calories, and there's loud music and you feel really good and also like you're going to throw up the whole time, but like you're really accomplishing something.

    Thrifty as subversion, I love it. My favourite days are the ones where I don't actually spent any money at all. PS I've been making my own coffee for 1 day now, and it makes me a little sad (I like my fancy coffees) but glad as well. Self sufficiency!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a place up by me that offers spinning and yoga classes combined I've always been curious to try. It's called Spynga, if maybe lightcore spinning interests you, Sarah? And maybe me too? Maybe 2012 is the year I bite the bullet?

    Shelves have the added benefit of books as art, THE BEST art.

    Your list is awesome Laura, and I can't wait to see what you're able to accomplish with a whole lot more free time. And heating up milk and using a frother can go a long way towards making your coffees feel more deluxe, girl.

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts