Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Left Field

I suppose if anything could unite the list of things that are inspiring me lately, it's getting the details right: pairing the right colours, the right little flourishes, achieving a harmonious balance.


This bathroom popped up on my Pinterest a couple days ago and I've been dreaming of it ever since. The seafoam and rust colour combo, the standalone soaker tub (siiiiiiigh), and the massive stag head pretty much tickle all my homey bones. And guys! Guess what! It's a real place in Ireland that you can stay! Ballyvolane House of Cork, you're pretty alright.


I've been curious to try these Ballet Beautiful videos as a supplement to my ballet classes – my favourite upper body stretch is great for loosening my shoulders but I'd like to start strengthening all my parts more regularly. Has anyone tried these? Are they as good as they look?


I know, I'm cruel. But how's a gal supposed to focus on getting in shape for her short shorts when Smitten Kitchen goes around posting things like this fried egg sandwich with bacon and blue cheese, huh? Completely unfair, that's what it is. At least it's got veggies in it, I GUESS (but, oh yeah, they're tossed in bacon fat, uh huh).


I'm obsessed with the details of the new Scout & Catalogue Rorschach scarves – all those little hidden skeletons and kitten heads and butterflies captured in a silky, silvery neutral. To top it off, the duo behind Fieldguided did a beautiful job photographing S&C's boho, beachy vibe for the lookbook. (You can see the process to create the scarves here, and more shots from the lookbook here.)


As usual, the Purl Bee knocks one out of the park with this two-tone crocheted cowl. Once I finish the shawl that shall not end, this'll likely be the next thing I cast on. (Is it still called casting on when it's crochet? "Playing hooky?")


Being known as someone who's fairly fearless about wearing crazy nails means you get lots of nail tutorials passed your way. My favourite of late is this one from Refinery 29, based on a print from Rag & Bone 'cause it looks like knitting (thanks for the tip-off, Kim!) But dear lord, is it ever hard to do! I tried it, then ended up starting over and doing this beach blanket/licorice allsorts mani instead, because I was watching Khloe & Lamar and why complicate life further, you know? And then I animated it. Why? Seche Vite fumes, that's why.

gif animator

As always, you can see what I'm digging in realtime on Pinterest.

3 comments:

  1. That bathroom is basically everything I've ever wanted in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. I'd do everything in that bathroom. Yes, I said everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say we get this sort of set-up in our future Golden Girls arrangement.

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts