Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Review: January Luxe Box

It took a while, but when I finally got my hands on this month's Luxe Box, it was a nice surprise: a double decker.


Look at all the stuff!


And onto what's inside.



A full-sized China Glaze nail polish! This was a very pleasant surprise indeed. It's a pretty colour too, a rich bright pink creme called Wicked Style. A little sleuthing online tells me it's from the new Electropop Spring 2012 collection, which should be available in stores now. I'm impressed that Loose Button included a brand new colour – that tells me they've got a good relationship with their suppliers. I feel like my photo doesn't quite capture how fuschia this colour reads in person – this picture over at The PolishAholic reads much truer to life.







Hey, another NYX eye pencil. This one's a jumbo, a cool bronze colour called Iced Mocha. A very basic pencil, but it's in a colour I can see working with many complexions and it glides very nicely. It's very shimmery, but the colour reads as neutral. I'll use this for sure.

I guess Loose Button's cleaning out its drawers – they included a satchel with a couple perfume sample vials, some of which were included in previous Luxe Boxes I've received. (Note: apparently they did this on purpose, in case I'd run out of previous samples.) New to me are the Lady Million by Paco Rabanne, and the two Prada scents, Candy and Infusion d'Iris.

I was very surprised to find I really enjoy Lady Million, which is a strong fruity, woodsy scent, with notes of neroli, raspberry, gardenia, patchouli and amber. It does have a very strong drydown though, so I can see sensitive noses disliking this one.

Prada Candy is warm, sweet, caramel scent, with amber and vanilla notes in the mix. Very gourmand and very grown-up, which can be difficult balance to achieve. I can see myself wearing this a lot.

Prada's Infusion d'Iris had the most generous bottle of the samples, but it was not a spray bottle, so it's a little messier to apply. This is a very soapy scent, heavy on the floral and very clean smelling. Overall, not to my tastes, but one I can see being popular with an older demographic.



I also received a hefty sample of Biosilk Silk Therapy, a lightweight leave-in treatment that I've been curious to try for a while. The bottle has a enough for a few applications, and looks like a lighter formula than the Morrocan Oil I got a few boxes back. Yeah, I'm digging it.



And I received a sample of Seattle's Best Coffee in a medium roast. Seeing as I'm pretty addicted to my Tassimo disc brewer, I doubt I'll be using this. One of my pot brewin' friends, this is one's up for grabs.






In the additional Bath & Body Box, I received a Schick Hydro Silk razor. A few of my friends have tried this and loved it, but to be perfectly honest, it'll be hard to get me to try something other than my Intuition. What can I say, I'm a sucker for an all-in-one-step razor, since I hate shaving as is. I likely won't even open this one until the spring.


I also received a sample of the Fekkai Advanced Brilliant Glossing shampoo and conditioner that "everyone has been raving about". Sure? Okay? I mean, I've never heard of it, but I also don't have my ear to ground on the latest trends in shampoo. I tried it this morning and it felt pretty good. It lathered up really nicely, smells good and left my hair feeling very soft. It's a little flyaway-y than it usually is, but I didn't use anything other than my heat-protecting spray to style it. Not a product I'd likely buy, but it was nice as a sample. (Oh, and there was an included coupon for Shoppers Drug Mart when you buy any Fekkai products that I likely won't be using.)


Overall, a much better Luxe Box than last month's. Sure, getting doubles of previously received perfumes was a little disappointing, but overall, I feel very satisfied with the quality of this month's offerings. THIS is the kind of fun I've ben hoping for with this service – a little bit of everything. Okay, Luxe Box, let's stay together.

If you'd like to sign up and try Luxe Box for yourself, I'd very much appreciate if you'd use my referral code.

You can also see my previous Luxe Box reviews for October, November, and December.

3 comments:

  1. Love that China Glaze! I agree, they definitely stepped up since December's box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The razor also has goopy stuff around the blades! those white spots! So you don't need the big soapy part! I'm so into it!
    My dad always tries to give me intuition blades when i'm in London. Should I start accepting them to pass along?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph, I would not be opposed to such donations. Thanks for the offer!

    OPI Addict, glad to hear you're satisfied as well! Looking forward to some bright nails to bring spring on home.

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts