Friday, February 3, 2012

My Criterion Top 5

On the advice of Amanda's beau, which he suggested after reading our post on the Criterion's Top 10s, I put together a list of my Top 5 Criterion films. (I started with 10, but then I got really, really exhausted). While I was putting this list together, I learned several things. And I'm sure Amanda will agree.

1. I have seen an embarrassingly low number of these films. Because of this, many of my choices are films that I love, yes, but are probably on the list because I haven't seen other, better films. Does that make my list irrelevant? I think... not.

2. There are so many incredible films that aren't on this list. Almodovar's oeuvre, for example, was nowhere to be seen. And no Dario Argento? The collection, which started in '84, prides itself on gathering the greatest films from around the world. And since this is the case, even though I am a supporter of what they do (which is help keep these films appreciated and pristine—you can read more about it here), I think that they've still got a long way to go. But I couldn't exactly just make a list of my 10 favourite films, could I? I needed some kind of definable list from which to choose.

I'm going to stop excusing myself now and give you my Top 5 (sorry) Criterion films:


1. Charade


I keep coming back to this film time and time again, because it has everything. Romance, comedy, action, suspense, great fashion, Cary Grant, and that AHA! moment when you finally figure it all out (and then smugly think that you figured it out before anyone else). What more do you need? It has my favourite line from any movie ever ("How do you shave in there?") and is probably the reason why I trusted men who lied to me for so long. (So what if she doesn't know his name? It's still true love!) The trailer, narrated by Grant, is a treat in itself.

2. Jules et Jim


via khalatnost
Sigh. I haven't seen this movie in years but it still fills me with this feeling of the romantic idea that you can be happy in love with more than one person and you can all be friends and love each other. Very Bohemian, non? It's about a love triangle between Jules et Jim et Catherine, and runs the gamut of emotions. It's also, at times, really playful and fun. Like this scene, the absolute best:





3. Three Colors: Red

via Criterion
If you haven't seen a Kieslowski film, do yourself a favour, go out and see one now. And preferably this one—I think it's the most accessible, which is maybe why I like it the best. All the Colors films are great, especially when you watch them in succession (with this one last). I love seeing the ways in which the colours are used. This film is about a fashion model and her strange friendship with an old peeping tom weirdo, showing that an impossible fraternity can exist between seemingly opposite people. It was also Kieslowski's last film.

4. 3 Women

via feelslikewhitelightening
Shelley and Sissy! I already love it. This film is the inspiration for so many fashion spreads, I can't even tell you. It's set in a dusty California resort town, and is totally dreamy. It switched from straight forward to surreal, and it's nice to see Spacek play a role other than Carrie. As a woman, I don't see how you could not like this film.

5. Winter Light

via flickr
This film is the epitome of a Bergman film. It's stark, dismal, and incredibly Swedish. A pastor of a small, rural church is looked to for guidance but is struggling with his own faith. If the fear of nuclear annihilation were not present, this film could easily take place 50 years in the past, and I love that about Bergman films—they don't belong to one time only. This is the second film in a trilogy (though the only one I've seen) about religious faith and doubts, which when done right can be so relatable and compelling. The role of the school teacher mistress is essential for my enjoyment of the film—it's her unwavering devotion to the pastor that stands in for the religious devotion that the pastor lacks. And, NBD, Bergman once said that he never really knew himself until after he made this movie. So there.


So, have I inspired you to watch any of these films? Amanda, I'm tagging you in, girl. You're up next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts