Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Review: February Luxe Box

Before I get into the review, I'd just like to say today is the one year anniversary of this little corner of the internet, so happy birthday blog! I can't believe you're one year old, baby, but I think we've got a beautiful thing going. Thank you so much for reading and commenting along these few past months, and Laura and I look forward to making Burgundy Girls better than ever in 2012.



Luxe Box, congratulations. I was not expecting to be so awed.

Seriously. I gasped when I opened this edition.


I know everyone gets a little sick of the red-overload during February, but it felt like such a refreshing pop of colour when I opened it. (Although I was looking forward to collecting my next few boxes to try this killer idea, but I'll guess that'll just have to wait.)

This month, Luxe Box is partnered with Flare Magazine and boy, did they knock this one out of the park. Loose Button used Flare's resources to their best ability, and it helped create a much stronger box overall — the explanation card was bigger, obviously designed and written by the Flare crew, and felt pared-back, accessible and very relevant. A big kudos to the team behind this month's inserts.


The goods! A very nice-looking spread. I ooooh-d at the mascara, and was happy to see extra shampoo samples – I was a bit sad that last month's Fekkai sample only gave me one use, so I couldn't really compare the experience over time.


First up, the Beautiful Butter Balm by Mèreadesso. The cute bit of directional copy had me primed to like this. This made my hands feel very soft and protected, but not in a greasy way. It absorbed fast and the scent, a vaguely grapefruity floral, dissipated quickly but was nice while it lasted. The hard plastic makes me think I may not be able to squeeze the last little bits out that easily, but I guess that's just proof of how much I think I'll like this.


There was also a small squeeze sample of Face + Neck Toning Gel from Mèreadesso, which I have yet to try. It came in this big cardboard card that I feel conflicted about. Sure, it's executed well and I like a sense of drama, but find it a little excessive. Really? All those trumpets for such a little vial? Maybe I'll try this stuff and be crying out hallelujah, but until then, a few too many trees may have died for this sleeve. But I am curious to see this 3–5 day boost it boasts.


A rollerball perfume sample! Guys, this is huge! I know a lot of people don't like receiving perfume, but I'm a disloyal harlot who loves to cheat on her one true love, L de Lolita Lempicka. I don't mind a dabble in perfumes, and this awesome rollerball is surefire way to make sure I'll give CK one Shock for her a good trial run. Plus, I even like the scent! It's a fruity gourmand—that seems to be the arrangement du jour— that pairs passionflower, poppy and peony with blackberry, jasmine, cocoa and vanilla. It actually reads very citrusy, with a lemony open and the juicy berry remaining present through the drydown. I can see myself wearing this often.


I'm not going to lie, this little tube of Lise Watier 24 Hours Glam Mascara got me really excited. Gold giraffe print? Like, was this designed specifically for me? It helps that the mascara inside is rad too—the brush has lanky bristles, creating a comb-like effect that really extends your lashes. I tried this as suggested, in conjunction with my standard Cover Girl Lash Blast, and it definitely gave me a longer look (I wouldn't say a falsie look though, as this gives a skinny lash, not a full one). Over all, love it, and will definitely use it up. This is the perfect purse mascara size, and god, just LOOK at the packaging.


Finally, I got these samples of Redken Color Extend shampoo and conditioner. My box included three generous samples which I am thrilled about, so I can see if there's a difference over a period of time (I've been thinking about investing in better shampoo ever since our last Ask A Hairdresser). Offering extra samples of shampoo was one of the things I mentioned in their January post-box survey, so I'm glad they were able to offer more so quickly. Bang up job, Luxe Box gang.

All in all, I thought this month's Luxe Box was simply wonderful. It delighted me with great products in ample sizes, and included items I use regularly and would be interested in potentially upgrading. I thought the changes in the promo cards were very appealing, and really helped to make Luxe Box the beauty resource it aspires to be. Overall, well edited, well crafted, well done. It feels like I'm gushing, but really, this is the kind of box I've been hoping all along would be delivered. Here's hoping elements of this special-edition box make it into the regular rotation.


If you liked my review and would like to try Luxe Box for yourself, I'd be mighty obliged if you'd use my referral code. Or you know, don't, and make Charlie sad.


Previous reviews:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts