Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Converted Carnivore

I should preface this post by letting you all know that I am a meat lover. I will eat any kind of meat, I even covet horse meat (controversially enough), and I think a life without bacon is a life not worth living. During one of my many freelance jobs, I copy edited an article about the Ying Ying Soyfood, a micro, family-owned tofu-producing company just outside the city. I was intrigued, and read a bit more about them on their site. But to be honest, it was the comment left by Robin Banks.
"Their tofu bacon is all kinds of amazing... crispy from the oven it's almost impossible to tell from the real thing (except it doesn't have those nasty fatty bulges)!"
Now I have no problem with bacon's fatty bulges, but the idea of a slightly healthier bacon substitute (and therefore one that I could eat on a more regular basis) got my mouth watering. Since we just moved near Dufferin Grove park, the Thursday farmers' market would be the perfect opportunity to pick up some facon and check out what else they had to offer. Boy, was I surprised.

They have so many delicious kinds of tofu! We couldn't resist, and bought about five different kinds. The Gourmet Tofu they make has six different flavours, and it is all pre-cooked. I especially loved the Curry and Miso flavour, and I'm snacking on the Tomato flavour right now. They have burgers and balls, but the most incredible is the Smokey Tofu Deli-Slices of tofu bacon. They are sliced super thin, and once you fry 'em up I swear you can't tell the difference. We've been putting them in sandwiches, salads, and having them with eggs and toast in the morning (not all on the same day, mind you).

Don't roll your eyes at me, fellow carnivores. You really won't believe it until you've tried it. So just go to Noah's, the Big Carrot, Fiesta Farms, or any farmers' market in the city, and buy a pack. I dare you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts