Wednesday, July 27, 2011

On My 25th Birthday

– Waking up feels awesome somehow, even though it's the same routine I go through every day. I haven't felt that kid feeling of delirious birthday joy in at least 12 years, but it feels like a day where everything will go my way. The sun's shining, isn't it? The temperature is a normal, tolerable, summer warmth, isn't it? I put on my last pair of clean underwear, a new favourite skirt, tease my hair, wear lipstick. Birthdays are at least half about feeling like the best possible version of yourself, so I indulge in spending longer getting ready. Birthdays are not about getting to work on time.

– Staying on top of my inbox feels like trying to stack dry rice.

– Hey, all these great people are sending me well-wishes! Whoa, I haven't seen that gal in ages! That was so sweet of her. I should plan drinks with her soon. Man, I have the best friends ever.

– Hey, all of these people from my past took the time to wish me a happy birthday on my Facebook wall! I haven't spoken to half of these people since graduation! I never do that for people I haven't spoken to in like, a decade. Wow. They must be better people than I am. Like, more generous, more loving people. Maybe they think back on those times together on the regular, whereas I can barely remember what their face looks like. Ugh, I'm such a dick.

– I feel a special twinge of fondness for my birthday twin, Meghan, followed shortly by guilt about being such a terrible pen pal. I'm sorry, and you're awesome.

– Birthday food choices don't count. Yes, I WILL have cream cheese on my bagel. Yes, I WILL have a burrito for lunch, and I WILL order the saffron rice from the Indian place for dinner even though it's a whole dollar more expensive, thankyouverymuch.

– The Beatles' "Birthday" is always good, but on your actual birthday, it feels fucking magical.


– I should feel older, right? I'm a quarter of a century old now. I guess your birthday is just to mark the end of the year; like, I have already lived my 25th year, and am now entering my 26th. Oh god, there. That did it. Typing "26" is what made me feel old for the first time.


Thank you for making me feel so special today,
and thank you for reading Burgundy Girls.
It really does mean the world to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts