Friday, July 8, 2011

The Burning House project

I am obsessed with The Burning House project, which asks people to submit a picture and list of the items that they would save if their house was burning.
"If your house was burning, what would you take with you? It's a conflict between what's practical, valuable and sentimental. What you would take reflects your interests, background and priorities. Think of it as an interview condensed into one question." 
Picking and choosing what you would save in an emergency is faulty and kind of idealized—you would probably just grab your laptop, your cat, and GTFU. But the idea of finding, in the huge amount of crap that we all own, the most important things that you wouldn't want to live without, is very cool. So although the name of this project can be misleading, I love the results. I also love the process I imagine the submitters going through in order to find their most prized possessions.








The strict organization of these photos appeal to me, everything is placed to show itself and complement the other pieces, so now matter how unrelated the objects are they always look like a complete collection. Each object is there for a specific reason, and even more interesting than the pictures are the explanations of what 
the object is, and sometimes they'll include why.


It's also interesting how the age of the submitter can effect the items that they find most important. Justin McClinton, who is 19-years-old, has a picture of his family, a T-shirt his dad used to wear, and some other family heirlooms, while 47-year-old Stefano Meneghetti has a Kraftwerk LP and some breakfast cereal. (No judgments here, I definitely have food that would make my list.)


Similar to this project and equally as loved is the "What's in your bag right now?" blog post that you can see everywhere all the time. Mostly it makes me jealous because those purses are impossibly clean. Amanda and I will be tackling this and doing our own to share with you all very soon.


Check out the site, but be warned—the first time I saw it I lost about an hour of my day. You'll get lost looking through other people's treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts