Friday, July 15, 2011

The Top 5 Albums of Right Now, At This Moment

How very High Fidelity, you must be thinking.

I like to do this periodically, create a playlist of my favourite albums from right now, and then reflect back on it later. It's interesting to hear, the music that thrills you again like no time has passed, that just sounds good in your ears, or the music you've outgrown, the songs that just remind you of what it feels like to be 18. It's like a diary entry from a former self, and it's revisiting the narratives and emotions that worked for you then.

So, a gift to my future self: my top 5 albums, on July 13, 2011, 11:13 pm, are as follows.

1. Teen Dream – Beach House
I feel like this choice dates me somehow, because it's modern and I think it's just past the point of anyone caring about it, but I'll be damned if this album doesn't still thrill me. Something in the emotion of Victoria Lagrande's voice, its vulnerability, its earthiness grounding the sweetness of the synthentic backgrounds. This lush dream pop feels like emotions feel, rolling over you in tides with crests and lows, and bringing you to a new understanding by the end. And everytime I listen, I hear something different – tonight, it was the little banjo line on "Used To Be" that reminded me of a favourite band of mine growing up, Travis (was anyone else out there a Travis fan? I always feel like such a dork about that).

Choice pick:

2. Death Proof Soundtrack
I've already mentioned this one to you before, but this is just to say, no really, it's the best thing your ears have never heard. Just believe me already.

Choice pick:

3. Astral Weeks – Van Morrison
This album makes me feel back in touch with nature. Is that weird? I listen to it, and it feels like I've spent time in the park, around green, growing things, which totally makes a difference to your physical well-being. The lyrics tumble like pebbles in a creek bed, the feeling is easy, soothing and filled with possibility. The lyrics aren't lyrics at all, just rolling words that follow the form, but they have their own logic somehow. Morrison has never sounded so generous, so open and so peaceful. This is my go-to album whenever things need to make sense, whenever my nerves need calming or I'm feeling in awe about the world. I remember Daniel playing it on a car ride when I felt nauseous to make me feel better, and it totally worked. This is powerful, Gravol-type shit.

Choice pick:

(How dreamy is that album cover?)

4. Beatles For Sale – The Beatles
This pick actually comes a bit out of left field for me. Have you ever tried to do it? Pick your favourite Beatles album? I mean, I love them all for such different reasons. Some have such insane standouts alongside the lowest of low (The White Album), some have really wonderfully conceived stretches (Abbey Road),  and if you'd asked me this a year ago, or even a week ago, I'd probably have answered differently. I'll probably answer differently a week from now. But this is July 13, 2011 at 11:31 pm, and I want to say Beatles For Sale. There are some really amazing vocal performances on this album, and overall, it's just a lot of fun. When, like me, you've been unpacking for the past two weeks, it matters to play albums that make you move. And oh man, that the first 5 seconds of 'Mr. Moonlight'? John Lennon's finest vocal performance ever. Seriously:


Boy has pipes.

Choice pick (two for the price of one!):



5. The Sun Sessions – Elvis Presley
This is Elvis at his best, in the first recordings he did for Sun Studios between 1954 and 55. They are just brimming with life, with nerve, with pure talent – this is a guy with music in his bones. I'm so amazed that these are considered some of the first recordings of rock n roll, because they sound so natural, so easy and exciting. Reading Priscilla Presley's memoir Elvis and Me may have shown me a different side of the King, but this is the beginning, before he became the sad, lonely man he would become. Ugh, god, just typing that made me feel sad about it. Nevermind. Just listen to the album – it's the cure for all that ails you.

Choice pick:


What are some of your favourite albums right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts