Monday, September 12, 2011

On Going Away

I'm off to Disney with my main homie in just three days' time (iieeee!), but mixed in with the excitement of it all, I'm feeling something rather unexpected.

I feel like I'm not ready. I have two mornings and three afternoons and three evenings left until we fly away, and it seems like too short a time. Yes, I have a lot to do between now and then, but it makes me sad to think this'll be three days of prepwork and I'd rather just be enjoying my life, because I've been enjoying it so much lately.

I love my little apartment and the way the light comes in our living room windows. I love my boyfriend, and the way our lives and days intertwine, and how we watch Louie and Breaking Bad together in bed. I love my little dog who is such a welcome companion at my heels, and walking him down the laneway by our house. I love my friends, who I feel so lucky to eat lunches with and knit with and watch bad TV with and get messy drunk with.

I love the ideas I've been having, the projects I've been collaborating on, the writing I've been doing. I love afternoons at my parents' house and Sunday night dinners. I love the book I'm reading right now and I've finally found a lace pattern I love working on. I love my favourite lunch burrito spot and the indian place down the block and the patio of the Victory Cafe.

So yes, I'm looking forward to a break, and to a few days' worth of hedonism and guilt-free relaxing. But this slight reluctance is a nice reminder that I don't need to go to the happiest place of earth to find happiness – I'm lucky enough to find it in my life, every day.

What little things add happiness to your life?

4 comments:

  1. i'm so excited that you're liking Haruni, it's such a fun and easy knit, and so satisfying once you're done.
    i only ended up with one drunk-knitting problem, and although i can see where i picked a dropped stitch up through 4 rows of eyelet (facepalm) no one else can. and for me, that little error will always say "remember that night with the bottle of the rose and all that indian food and good times with the girls? that's when this happened!" and that's a lovely thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is true wabi-sabi, right there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, I love my life but I would still die if I had to wait longer than 2.5 days for this trip to start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, I can't wait to hear about your trip! <3 It has always been a dream to go to Disneyland!

    x
    Lost in the Haze

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts