Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Top Three Reasons to Get Excited About Fall

I'm not going to coddle you: we both know fall is on its way.

via

I've noticed something lately, that every time fall is mentioned in conversation, people tense up. They get defensive. They start saying things like, "I'm not ready!" or "Noooo, not yet!" And trust me, I get it. I'm someone who is not the hugest fan of cold weather, being one of those folks who can never get warm anyway, and has to be convinced to go outside on even the clearest, brightest of days.

But guys! We have so much to look forward to! Fire up your engines, and let's start getting excited about the cooldown.

Fashion
We have it good this year, folks. Colour, colour everywhere; patterns on whatever you please; comfortable, easy, long, loose shapes; loafers, brogues and booties. Like, seriously, you're not the least bit excited? We get to wear LAYERS again! And shoes with socks! And sweaters and scarves! And TIGHTS! You remember tights, don't you? Oh god, I can't wait to start wearing inappropriate skirts again with impunity because of tights. Plus coats! I know, right now your skin recoils at the thought, but that moment when you put on your favourite coat is like getting a hug from an old friend. Maybe you'll even find money in your pocket! Isn't that the best? I was recently thinking about my inspirations for fall dressing, and I'm so happy to wear real clothes again.

Food
Fall foods are so my jam. Quite literally – jam is totally a fall food, with it being canning season (har-dee har). But no, in all seriousness, do you know how much I've missed homemade mac n cheese? Or chili? Or stew? I am such a comfort food person and summer foods, while refreshing, never feel entirely substantial. Nor does your house smell delicious in the same way, where dinner bubbles away enticingly on the stove for hours.

And we get apples back! Fresh apples, and apple ciders and baked goods too. And tea! Hot, strong tea in flavours that just aren't right for summer – spicy chais and chocolaty blends. Fall also brings back the seasonal dinner feasts – Thanksgiving's just around the corner (for us Canucks anyway) – and with that, we get turkey, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie. Hot damn.

Indoor Activities
I'm an indoor kid, through and through. Like, seriously, I'm a writer. We aren't bred to be outdoor kids – we read books, enjoy comfortable surroundings, spend a good many years intensely introspective, and get sunburned really fast. We're really good at the internet, and have absorbed many movies, TV shows, comics, books, art and other things. These are my people.

Cold weather is perfect for that! Seriously, you get to hang out inside all the time! Your friends will just want to hang out inside too! (Well, except for those people who enjoy outdoor activities, like skiing and stuff – I'm just glad you have each other.) You'll be comfy at room temperature and doing fun things, like playing games, crafting, drinking and making out!  You'll get to catch up on those TV series you've been putting off, or finally making a dent in your to-watch list of Criterion flicks. You'll get to knit wooly, soft, lofty things again. You'll get to curl up under blankets and cuddle with people you love.

Added bonus: people don't say things like, "whoa, do you ever leave the house?" to your pale, daywalker self. NO, I use SUNBLOCK, assholes.


Seriously, this is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm also excited because we don't have air conditioning and my boyfriend and I will finally be able to wear clothes inside the house. And because I've been writing about fall for work all summer and have had a crazy craving for pumpkin pie since June (that is too long to wait for pie!)
What are you most excited about for fall?

1 comment:

  1. i have been almost embarrassed to admit my love of fall/this cooler weather what with the rallying cries of "NOOOOOO! i dont want summer to be over!"....but it's true. im stoked. (made a whole chicken sunday...poutine with the gravy monday...chicken soup tonight and tomorrow will be chicken pot pie..also made chocolate zucchini bread tonight. i fucking LOVE fall. there. i said it).

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts