Wednesday, March 2, 2011

All things wilderness

The older I get, the more I adopt my parents' taste in art. I grew up in a house full of wood art (like paintings of photographs, but carved) and while I lived there I hated it. Lately, however, I have been drawn to pieces that are quintessential in the Canadian landscape. In dreaming of ways in which I'll decorate my own house, I seem to be showing a strong sense of nature.

Oak, relief print, by Bryan Nash Gill

The other day, my boyfriend and I realized that, though most Canadians we know are from large cities like Toronto, a lot of us seem to feel this pull to nature. Isn't it kind of silly that we feel like the wilderness is a part of ourselves? I know I do and I've hardly seen any of this country. 

Hudson's Bay blanket
I've never lived anywhere outside of Toronto but, perhaps through all the Canadian Literature I've studied, I feel connected to my idea of the land up north. I love learning about the fur traders, the Depression and it's effects on the prairies... anything that could come out of a short story or novel by Sinclair Ross or Margaret Laurence.  

Vintage archery arrows from Etsy

It might be unfair, or based on misconceptions, but I love the idea of my tastes in decorating reflecting where I come from. Maybe I should back this up with some travel and research!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts