Sunday, March 20, 2011

time goes by...

Tony Curtis was still sexy in the '90s.

What can I say about these two that hasn't already been said? As long as I can remember, Some Like it Hot has been my favourite movie. It's a fantastic comedy and the performances of these two men far exceed Ms. Monroe's. 

These two men's faces, disguised as women, are permanently stuck in my mind. I would turn to this movie when I was sad and needed comfort. I would watch it when I was happy to revisit a good laugh. I would also show it to new boyfriends, because being able to sit through a good '50s movie is a real relationship test that each new boy has to get through. I have watched the movie countless times, through different times in my life, and even with different versions of myself. How, then, can I reconcile seeing these faces aged, brought into the real world and taken out of the mobster-run Chicago or the band of Sweet Sue and her Society Syncopators? This picture is so striking because it shows how much time can change what seems static.

Everything changes, even if it's a movie and you expect it to stop in time. Seeing the old men made up in their old roles once again (and Tony Curtis looking really excellent in his briefs) ruins the idea and picture of immortality. Before, Josephine and Daphne were young, vivacious, and sassy; their faces and characters were only seen in one role. They were locked in time, and because of this, stood as romantic figures to me. Through this picture they are made mortal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts