Sunday, March 6, 2011

Babe the First

A little feature Laura and I have been discussing is the addition of a series of babes. Yes, babes. Dreamy dudes, but also, ladies we love. And so, without further ado, the first, unilaterally decided by me.


You have no idea how much I love Jean-Pierre Léaud. Like, seriously, the above picture came up on my tumblog and I sighed involuntarily. If you don't understand why, see Stolen Kisses. Or even better, see The 400 Blows and then Stolen Kisses. He worked with Truffaut often and starred in the director's Antoine Doinel series, following Léaud's character from childhood to adulthood in 4.5 films (one was a short). He also worked with Godard and was one of his so-called "children of Marx and Coca-Cola".


He radiates such genuine, earnest charm that it leaves me weak-kneed. He's got some serious acting chops, even as a 12 year old in The 400 Blows. He always manages to be delightful even as you know he's being an ass. He makes goofy faces and is slightly spastic and brings a certain wide-eyed enthusiasm to his roles. And lord knows I'm a sucker for a man in a tweedy blazer.


Now, I'm only basing this knowledge off the Antoine series and Day for Night (also directed by Truffaut), but his babeliness transcends mere constraints like what films I've seen. Trust me, google imaging him is a treat, even when he's older and starts looking a bit like Tommy Wiseau because that has charms all its own (though not babely ones). I feel no hesitations in recommending everything he's been in, ever. I'll be catching up soon with Masculin, féminin and La Chinoise.

(Also, Chantal Goya, props to a pretty slick little bob.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts