Monday, March 7, 2011

Hair tutorials

Do you ever have those days where you wake up with so much to do that you don't know where in the world to start? Instead of doing anything productive I have been lying on the living room couch, silently coaxing our new foster cat to stop hiding and come out and be cute! I gave her some catnip, hoping to relax her a little, and I can hear her licking it up off the floor. I don't want to scare the poor thing, but I really need to do my Buns of Steel workout video, and I don't think the room is big enough for the both of us.

Another thing I've been doing this morning is find cool hair tutorials. These are some of my favourite things on the Internet, and I wanted to share my current favourites.




Here are Joanna Goddard's easy steps for making this sweet up-do.


http://joannagoddard.blogspot.com/search/label/hair

1. This style is so easy, it's laughable. Day-old hair is best (which is true for most hairstyles, since it's easier to work with hair that has a little dirt in it).

2. Divide your hair into three equal parts and quickly spray each section with a little hairspray to help give it hold. Let the hairspray set for a couple seconds, and then lightly comb it out.

3. Take the section on your right side, and twist your hair all the way down to the end. You want to twist counter-clockwise, toward your face. Wrap the right section in on itself, just like you're making a little bun. Let some of the hair stick out, it's ok (you don't want them to look like Princess Leia buns).

4. Pin the right bun in place. I like to use these mini bobby pins, since they're easier to hide and they're coated in rubber so they hold your hair better.

5. Next, twist the middle section clockwise and pin. Then twist the left section clockwise and pin.

6. Spray the three buns with a little more hairspray, and you're done!





Easy, right? And oh-so-cute. Here is the abridged version of another great 'do.

http://experienceparisienne.com/blog/ooh-la-la-how-to-get-a-perfectly-messy-bun/

Step #1: Make your hair dirty. (During the week, [I] use dry shampoo to keep her hair from getting greasy.)
Step #2: Next, pull together your hair and hold it straight up.
Step #3: Then twist your hair down to a few inches above the crown.
Step #4: Wrap your hair around itself until it forms a loose bun, right on top of your head.
Step #5: Pin the bun in place with bobby pins. “Anywhere from four to eight, depending on how thick your hair is,” C. says. “You want it loose but secure.”
Step #6: Finally, pull loose strands of hair from the nape of your neck and around your face to make it look like you’ve worn the bun all day (or even slept in it!) And there you have it: That certain je ne sais quoi.
I've been wearing my hair like this now all morning. It looks messy, but in that chic, too-busy-to-do-my-hair, French kind of way. I find 4 or 5 bobby pins keep it nice and secure.
My all time favourite hair tutorials are videos by Loepsie



Loepsie is the cutest. I've been trying to figure out where she is from (Holland?) but I've given up. She's got a great accent and her eye rolling is totally sassy. She is very hair-friendly. She has lots of other great videos on how to grow long hair and keep it looking healthy. (NO HEAT!) I love this hair curling method because you can sleep in it and wake up looking great. There is nothing as easy as this. I now have about 4 "sock buns" floating around the house. Maybe when the cat comes out of hiding she can play with them.

She also has some great braid tutorials:







Isn't she adorable? I encourage you to watch more of her videos to get hair-healthy tips. 

1 comment:

Penny for your thoughts