Monday, May 30, 2011

My new favourite breakfasts

Hi friends! I have three great recipes for you today, all for yummy breakfasts, and all totally basic and cheap. I'll list them ranging from easiest and least time consuming, to the most challenging.

Smoothies:


Inspired by this post by the Nutrition Diva, I have been making smoothies almost every morning. They are perfect for when you are still half asleep, and don't have much time to make food. These ones are super good for you, filling enough for a meal, and taste like a cup of sunshine... seriously.

I use a magic bullet to whip this stuff up, but you could use any blender as long as the quantities are right.

My version: 
2% milk, however much you want (I find this has the best taste and consistency once it blends)
one banana, chopped up
some strawberries, if you have them around
one ice cube, to cool things down
one spoonful of almond butter
one spoonful of cocoa powder

Blend it, pour it in a glass, and you've got a tasty way to wake up in the morning.

Next up, Skillet Eggs with tomatoes and goat cheese:



I made these this morning, which were easy and the perfect breakfast for two! (Since I'm just one right now, I will have leftovers, my favourite thing in the world)

My version:
Add a tablespoon of butter and cream to a skillet, and put it into the oven on broil
Once it melts, add four eggs, a whole bunch of chopped up grape tomatos, and some goat cheese
Put the skillet back in the oven, the recipe says to let it broil for 5 minutes, but I'd say 7 or 8, depending  if you like your eggs runny or more firm


Okay, now I'm pulling out the big guns (but not). Hollandaise on poached eggs!:



This one was a group effort. I did the eggs and sauce while Dan fried up some bacon and toasted the english muffins to perfection.

I took my recipe from here, and followed it pretty much to a T. Read it on the site itself, because hollandaise can be pretty tricky. I had to make two batches because (beware!!) if you take it off the heat, even for a second, the egg yolk and the butter will separate. Keep it warm, and keep whisking, until you pour the sauce over your poached eggs, which are sitting on top of applewood smoked bacon, on top of an english muffin. YUM. This is definitely the most complicated of the three, but still not so bad, as long as you have 4 hands instead of two. Give yourself some time for this one, and have extra ingredients on hand.



2 comments:

  1. Laura, I've been doing lots of variation of the skillet eggs, and always start with a sliced clove of garlic added to slowly browning red or cooking onions. After it's smelling good and ready, I add two eggs to the pan and a splash of cold water to make them fluffy and slowly fold that shit instead of seriously scrambling it, and BAM all's done in ten minutes. Finally I lay the eggs on top of one slice of rye toast with tomato and avocado-- yet another super quickie, let me make it for you soon! Also, make it decadent by putting it on a croissant instead of a slice of toast!

    tried any exciting cheeses lately?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so delish. Let's have a breakfast party sometime soon! I am so boring with cheeses, I know nothing about it and the craziest I will go is like flavoured goat cheese. Can you recommend any?

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts