Thursday, May 12, 2011

Words of wisdom

Everyone knows about This American Life, so I don't  have to give it much of an introduction. I like it most of the time, when the subject matter is light and funny, not interviews with people who have attempted suicide, or the Chernobyl disaster. When I listen to those, and this speaks to the ability of the people on the show, I want to stay in bed for like days. Forget about it.

Anyways, I really look up to the people who run This American Life (my girl Jane Feltes) and other shows like it. They make a real-paying job out of teaching people through media, which is honourable and smart. I hope to do something like that one day.

crossmyart


Most of the people I know who are no longer in school are trying to "make it" in the creative world. This advice from TAL host Ira Glass really stood out, and it's the best advice I've seen out there. It's never going to be easy, and I think we can all relate to the "not being great at what we do" feeling. This is like a different kind of It Gets Better project, and hopefully will inspire people to not be lazy and content, but try to produce things of interest. This is one of the reasons that Amanda and I started this blog, to get more practice in writing and sharing our common interests.

So go forth, friends, and make something with your time and talents! If you do, I promise to feature it here.

1 comment:

  1. I second the commitment. We know some seriously talented folks, and I'd love to feature some of them here.

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts