Sunday, May 1, 2011

Country Style

I was really struck by the latest post by miss moss, featuring picture of women living on a farm. In an ideal world I would like to live off the land, on a farm in the middle of nowhere (of course I would still need the Internet). I would happily grow vegetables and keep bees and saw wood (and snuggle bunnies, etc.).
Aside from all that, I was bowled over by the style of these women. While I am sure that no one who lives on a farm actually does their chores in a matching corduroy suit, the ladies look great, and their outfits reflect the rugged kind of masculine nature of the jobs they are doing. The outfits are at once frivolous and practical. They are not wearing overalls, but they do not look out of place in the wilderness. I particularly like the Rosie the Riveter-style outfit in the second-last photo, and the backwards cardigan in the picture with the chickens.









So what do you say, Amanda, should we move out rural Ontario and farm the land? We'd just have to learn to drive a tractor.


All pictures are from miss moss' blog, but taken from the LIFE photo archive, which I highly suggest you check out. Instant inspiration can be found in all decades.

1 comment:

Penny for your thoughts