Monday, May 9, 2011

DIY Nails: Lassoing the Moon

Last week, I just couldn't decide: creamy peach or racecar blue. The answer?

BOTH!

Laura showed me how to do this fake moon manicure, and it's so ridiculously easy that you should do it too. Here's how:

1. Paint on your clear base coat, then your base colour. Depending on the opacity of your polish, you may want to do a couple coats. Here I'm wearing two coats of American Apparel's Summer Peach.

2. Let it dry. If you don't, you'll get weird little bubbles in your accent colour. Don't ask me how I know this.

3. Load up the brush on your accent colour and do one smooth circular motion on the bottom portion of your nail. It helps if this is an opaque polish so your coat doesn't have to be so thick, and feel free to get it all over your skin. You're only doing one coat, so get it to the coverage you want now. I'm wearing a discontinued Nicole by OPI sparkly blue colour.

4. Clean up the edges of your cuticle with a Q-tip dipped in nail polish remover. Don't soak it too much or it can remove some of the polish you want to keep on.

And that's it! I usually wait a day before doing my top coat, so it's extra dry and the little bits around my cuticles come off in the shower.

Think of all the magical colour combinations this knowledge opens up! I've already been daydreaming about what colours to pair next, because I'm the type of girl who daydreams about painting her nails. Aim this low, folks, and you too can achieve your dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts