Wednesday, June 22, 2011

On the First 8 Minutes of True Blood Season 4

True Blood is batshit bonkers, guys. I know everyone watched it back in season one when it was actually good, but have you kept watching it? Did you stop after the fifth black-eyed orgy in season two? What about when Bill turned his vamp fuck-buddy's head the wrong way around mid-coitus? And then Jason started dating a werepanther and was, at the end of last season, given the mayorship of Meth-Werepantherville? Or when Sookie found out she was a fairy? Have you kept watching just because of Eric's undeniable babeliness?

I simultaneously love and loathe True Blood, because it's one of the more unpredictable shows on TV. You really don't know where the series is going at any given moment, because it's made a sport of shark jumping. Every time you think it's reached a new low, there it goes, making you WTF louder and laugh harder than anything else being made right now. In the beginning, it held promise as holding up a darkly distorted mirror to society—I really liked the parallels drawn between gay rights and vampire rights—but somewhere along the way, Alan Ball done lost his damn mind, and he's embraced the crazy wholeheartedly.

The first eight minutes of season four make that perfectly clear.



I saw this at my parents' house on Sunday night, settling in with my boyfriend for the latest episode of Treme, when this aired, pushing back our episode unexpectedly. And then we done lost our damn minds at this...thing. I don't even know what this is. It's putting it mildly to say that it's ballsy to start your fourth season in an entirely new locale, filled with fairies eating balls of light. And then to turn that idyllic Lisa Frank world into a zombie movie with sparkly explosions in the span of eight minutes? Batshit bonkers.

I don't know if it was because we had been expecting to see New Orleans hobbling back to life, or because it really is that crazy ridiculous, but we were alternately watching the TV slackjawed and laughing so loud my brother came upstairs to see what all the fuss was about. And my parents have now seen my boyfriend cry uncontrollable tears of joy. So there's that.

True Blood is becoming an acid-trip Xena for the 21st century, and I am so fucking on board.

3 comments:

  1. i wonder how much of the crazy is written in to the books, and therefore they are sort of just saying... "fuck this, if we're going go do it, we may as well DO IT".

    (captcha word, fyi: "subnomin")

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 100% on board with this show, ride or die. I think it was Russell Edgington carrying his liquified lover around in a crystal jar, then ripping that newscaster's spine out on live TV that really cemented it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read the first eight books or so, and while the overarching plot of each TV season follows the books, they take a LOT of liberties with the storyline. And this season, based on the books, is going to be Good Times for Eric fans, hollah!

    Oh god Kim, that was THE BEST.

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts