Monday, August 29, 2011

The Coveteur

Has everyone heard of the Coveteur yet? It's a site that takes you inside the closets of "some of today's most recognized global tastemakers." Sounds pretty cool, right? It doesn't hurt that the styling is beautiful, the pictures are immaculate, and the two founders, Erin Kleinberg and Stephanie Mark, are Toronto girls! If you haven't heard of the site before then now is an especially good time to check it out—this week they are focusing on Canadian style icons, so we can all see inside the closets of those closer to home. 



This is the only website that I visit independently of my Google Reader, and for good reason. Just like a site like Pinterest, or the editorials in a beautiful glossy magazine, the Coveteur is full of inspiration. For people like me and Amanda, however, and probably you too, this kind of life is almost unknown, and if not a total fantasy than at least a daydream. I look at the closets of these women, who are creative directors, writers, stylists, designers, journalists, etc., and I am inspired to make beauty out of what I have. I will never have closets like this women, and even if I do there will be more Springsteen T-shirts than there are ballgowns; but the organization, and the pride that these women take in their most cherished possessions is what's truly enviable.

In the spirit of coveting my most prized possessions, I'd like to share with you my own personal Coveteur.

Here is the wall of clothing that I share with Dan...
and the rest of the contents of my little closet. Keep in mind that I share this space with a man who owns more T-shirts and cut-off shorts than you ever thought possible. 


Now let's go deeper inside my closet and take a look at my most-loved wardrobe staples.


My Jeffrey Campbell flatforms. I love these shoes more than I should. 

I bought this Wood Wood sweater last week and haven't worn it yet. To me it epitomizes the crisp fall weather, and biking to work with a latte.

These were jeans that my dad wore when I was growing up that he made into longer cutoffs years later. I stole them in '08 and shortened them to my liking. They remind me of everything wonderful about my dad and even though they look like hell I will always feel cute in them.

This is a Miu Miu bag that belonged to Dan's grandmother. I "inherited" a lot of beautiful sweaters and purses from her, though this simple leather bag is my favourite.

Though I have more jewellery stored away, this is the stuff I wear day-to-day, kept in little teacups. You can hardly see the details here, but there are many rings in the front right cup, bracelets in the back, and hair accessories in the front left. 

My small collection of vintage watches, from my grandmothers and Dan's.


Possibly my most prized possession, and the reason that I'm not scared to walk alone at night.


My favourite rings, a collection from all over the world

I got this sheer lace top years ago when I was in Montreal with my best friend. Just on the outskirts of China Town there is a vintage store that stays open late, and we wandered in after having large dinner and way too much wine. I didn't trust my judgement, so I only bought one top, and I have to stop myself from wearing it everyday.

Dan brought me this dress back from his trip to Ghana. He had it made perfectly to my measurements and it fits like a glove. It smells like incense and the colour really brings out my eyes.

And there you have it, friends: my humble, iPhone-picture version of the significant items from my wardrobe. I hope that you have been inspired, and I encourage you all to turn to your own closets to find the pieces you love the best. Too often we covet the beautiful things that other people have. Cherish the items that are handed down or that you broke the bank for, it will make wearing them that much more special.

1 comment:

  1. i love this post - makes me want to empty my closet and only put back the things i love.

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts