Wednesday, August 3, 2011

On Some Songs from My Youth

Whenever one of the below jams comes on the radio, or when I'm browsing the grocery store, or, let's be real, I'm hanging with my friends and we get sucked into a nineties timewarp, I wonder how I still know every. single. word. And not only every word, but every inflection, every riff, every solo. And I start twitching, because that's what happens when I try to stop myself from dancing. Yeah. Why my brain has decided to hang onto this shit and not, say, the proper spelling of 'separate' beats me (yeah, spelled it wrong then too.)

Let's take a trip down memory lane.


I can remember, for gym class, choreographing a dance to this. As you'd imagine, it involved a lot of finger wagging.


Anthem of honeys everywhere. Own that shit, girl.


This already awesome music video has been made even cooler by the realization that it's an homage to Russ Meyer's Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!, one of my fave films. Also, the first time I've ever thought Scary Spice might be a total babe (Ginger is assumed as law, guys).


CLASSIC. I was an N'Sync gal over BSB any day.


That being said, this song still kicks ass.




I have no clue why I love this song as much as I do, but this is easily one of the top five Britney songs, maybe even top three. A perfect pop jam, really. And her hair. I longed for that hair as a kid, and I long for it still. And hey, Adrian Grenier before he became annoying, and Melissa Joan Hart when she was still relevant!



Cheating was such a big deal in the late nineties/early aughts, wasn't it? And look at what trendsetters these gals were—I feel like this colour blocking/monochrome thing became one of the hallmarks of the first half of the aughts (making a comeback already?).



Pure skrillz.



OBVIOUSLY. There is no excuse for not involuntarily moving your body to this. If you don't start feeling this pretty immediately, you're not a human—it's a simple as that.



This one goes out to my homegirl Stevie.
We gon' sip Bacardi like it's your birthday
('cause it's your actual birthday!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts