Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Thrifted Life: the squishy-faced cat

Amanda and I first got the idea to start Burgundy Girls from our BFF Jill who suggested, since we are both hoarders packrats collectors of cool things, that we share with the outside world some of the awesome and amazing items that come in and out of our apartment. Now that we no longer live together (physically, at least, emotionally we will never part) I figure that we collectively have even more stuff that you would ever possibly want to read about.

Amanda and I both love thrifted items; part of what makes a piece so special is the history behind it–and if I don't know the history then I'll just make one up. Knowing that something you own is not really yours, that is has already had a life of its own and will probably have one after you, makes it more important–the feeling that it's not really yours, it's bigger than you, and you are just borrowing it. I feel that way about lots of things in my apartment. A good 75% of the nicknacks I have, though, belonged to my grandparents and great-grandparents, so their histories are known to me, and I love them for it.

I propose that this can be the first of a fairly regular column, Thrifted Life, when we need a break and run out of more creative content (because seriously, we do this every single weekday).


This is a sketch of a squishy-faced cat that I got from my grandmother's basement, that on first glance is probably the worst picture of a cat you've ever seen. My grandma said that when she worked in the accounting department at Eaton's in her 40s there was this married guy that was in love with her. He and his wife would come over for dinner and he would embarrass himself by drinking too much and paying her way too much attention. This picture, she says, was his last-ditch effort to win her over, knowing that she loved cats, and hoping that she would love him for his "artistic side." He eventually cut off all contact, and this picture went down into her basement for almost 40 years.


So here's to Jack in '73, whose picture is now hanging in the house of the granddaughter of his unrequited love.

2 comments:

  1. I love this little cat so much, and miss seeing him in the hallway everyday!
    Looking forward to this new column.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you girls. Thanks for the cred. Long live Burgundy Girls! Can I be the third BG like George Martin was the fifth Beatle?

    ReplyDelete

Penny for your thoughts